If you would like to announce a fundraiser, volunteer or ask a question, please contact us at mckennacan (at) gmail.com

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Lessons learned

Thank you so much for all the support and kindness everyone has shown to our family. The garage sale/bake sale was awesome! There was also a huge turn out at the car wash.

As you can imagine this has been quite a difficult thing for our family. Obviously it is Mckenna that I worry about the most. So I watch her attitude closely, expecting depression or worry, or any sign that things are taking a turn for the worst. I have been educated by her on the way to keep a happy outlook on life, even while going through something horrible. This is what I think I have learned from her:

*Don't dwell on negatives. She is always taking me to task if I start to give an Eyore-ish attitude. You know like "everthing sucks and is not going right" and "there is no way this is going to work" attitude. She doesn't tolerate it and is not afraid to tell me so.

*If you want to feel better, act like you feel better. This is probably the one that I just dont get. If I am sick I let everyone know, if I am sad I sulk , if I am mad I am silent and frowny. She sings constantly, whether its just a murmur under her breath while she is getting ready for school, or loudly when she is in the shower. In between musical numbers , I ask her how she is feeling she says, 'well, I have a headache and my bones ache but Im good.'

*Sometimes it is ok to keep your mouth shut. Like the last bullet-point, I wear my emotions where everyone can see them and if I don't feel good I am apt to "tell all." Mckenna doesn't mention it, she doesn't draw attention to herself, it blows me away sometimes. I think this is the one that garners my respect for her the most.

Someday I hope to grow up and be more like my 12 year old daughter.

Thanks again for everything,
Scott Davies

No comments: